Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Phoning Home

It’s funny, I remember speaking to distant (in name and physically) relatives on the phone in years gone by. The sound of their voices, as if they were speaking through a biscuit tin from 30 yards away, inside a tunnel, always gave you that sense of distance. It lent it a romantic edge. Those days are gone; technology has moved forward, and now they sound like they’re in the next room. I don’t know if I like it, to be honest. I’d much rather it felt like I’m actually 7000 miles away. Not to the point that conversation becomes a chore, as when you’re experiencing a delay and are constantly talking over each other…and then pausing to let the other speak before doing exactly the same again. But maybe they could just put some sound effects back on international calls for the sake of atmosphere? Mindyou, I haven’t called home that often. Only to ask Garfield how North End are playing at the moment. You know, the important stuff.

No comments: