Saturday, 2 May 2009

What Is The What

I swapped this book for my copy of The Time Traveler's Wife (another great book). I don't think I've read a more humbling, heartbreaking tale. It tells the story of Valentino Achak Deng, a young Sudanese boy who fled the civil war there. He and thousands of others walked hundreds of miles to find sanctuary in Ethiopia. Before finding safety for 10 years in a Kenyan refugee camp, and eventual relocation to the U.S, they endured murder by rebels, bombing by government troops, famine and even raids by lions on the long march.

The stories are interwoven by his current experiences in Atlanta, where life has not been too rosy, either. It's a very powerful story, and there are moments in it where I've had to pause and put the book down just to absorb what I have read. Harrowing is a weak word to describe some of his experiences; things no-one should have to witness, let alone a child. Read it.

No comments: