Saturday, 15 August 2009

Israeli Vindication

I don't want to come across as some sort of vehement anti-Semite, as I'm not, despite my rants. A mate of mine from London wrote to me pretty much agreeing with what I'd said regarding the Israeli Attitude. She's Jewish, and has had a few problems with them herself when travelling through SE Asia. Conversation with a group apparently stalled when she told them she was Jewish by birth, but an atheist who believed the Palestinians got the shitty end of the stick.

In her mail, she told me a funny story I have to share about her friend Neil Sansom (sorry, mate...Jubes insisted I name you). He was returning from a trek in the Peruvian mountains when he passed a group of Israelis on their way to some sort of hardcore Bruce Parry-esque nirvana. They had an extremely ill girl with them, who they proceeded to dump on Neil without so much as a By your Leave, as he was heading back to town. With not much choice in the matter (the Israelis adapting the story of the Good Samaritan in their own charming way), he set off walking with her.

As the afternoon turned to evening, the girl slipped and fell down a hillside. Neil jumped down after her, and managed to halt her slide. He managed to get her up the slope, at which point he'd realised she'd pissed and shat herself. By the time they'd got to the top of the scree, and back to the road, they'd missed the last bus to town.

Great story, Neil. I'd like to buy you a pint and shake your hand. After you'd washed it, of course...

No comments: