Monday, 28 September 2009

Forward Planning

Well, the trip’s not quite over…but (call me greedy) I’m already planning ahead. I’ve had a few mails from my Instructor in Coron, asking when I’ll be back in the Philippines, and if I fancy a job guiding on the wrecks? Certainly do, Gerd. I set off on this trip aiming for three things: passable Spanish, a Divemaster certification and somewhere else to live. I passed the DM in May, and my Spanish is getting better every day. Two out of three isn’t bad. I’d expected to fall in love with Colombia and stay there, but I wasn’t overly enamoured with the place, or the lame diving. Peru is more interesting…pity about the lack of scuba opportunities, though. So I want to set myself targets for next year now. The back end of this one will likely see me in the Philippines for a few months, and I’d like to work in Barcelona next summer to improve my Spanish before heading for Honduras and the Instructor course. After that my travels will be plain sailing: teaching diving as I go, and writing wherever and whenever I can. Hopefully there are a couple of novels in me somewhere. This last year has shown me another way. I’ll work to live, and see where the road takes me in the next couple of years. The prospect of designing websites for the next few years has lost its appeal. I’ve barely scratched the surface, and I want more. A lot more.

No comments: